Friendology 101 - Grades 3 to 6
Friendology 101 helps teachers create a school culture that promotes positive mental health, wellbeing, and kindness. Using kids’ language for kids’ problems and a practical, step-by-step approach, Friendology 101 teaches children to solve their own problems and make decisions that support happy, healthy relationships.
The mission of the URSTRONG programming is to proactively create a climate within friendships that exudes trust, respect, and honesty. Girls and boys learn to balance integrity and empathy within their friendships, while remembering to always celebrate their uniqueness and surround themselves with people who make them feel good.
Friendology 101 is a series of 8 sequential sessions that inspire children to feel empowered, develop a strong sense of self, and love themselves while learning to manage the most important thing to them…their friendships.
This skills-based SEL (social-emotional learning) programming teaches girls and boys a new “language” that they can connect with; giving them a voice that allows them to articulate their experiences and get the help they need to foster healthy friendships. The 8 sequential sessions, designed for students in grades 3 to 6, centre on the following key concepts:
- How to Get Real – focuses on the importance of being true to who you are, embracing your unique self, and dispelling myths around gender stereotypes.
- How to Make Friends – focuses on the art of friendship-making starting with how to introduce yourself, find something in common, and have a conversation. Students also learn what’s normal in a friendship through the 4 Friendship Facts.
- How to Be a Great Friend – focuses on the difference between healthy and unhealthy friendships using the Friend-o-meter, attributes of a great friend, and the importance of spending the most time in healthy friendships.
- How to Put out Friendship Fires – focuses on putting a voice to your feelings and conflict-resolution using our step-by-step approach for putting out Friendship Fires®.
- How to be a Friendship Ninja – focuses on understanding the difference between normal conflict (Friendship Fires®) and Mean-on-Purpose behavior. Students learn how to say a Quick Comeback and report to a grown up to combat intentional unkind behavior.
- How to Handle Tricky Situations – highlights hot topics and common challenges in tween friendships including how to handle being in the middle, managing birthday parties, how to say “No!” to friends without feeling mean, and how to keep friendships healthy online.
- How to Take Control & Feel Heard – focuses on taking control of butterflies (e.g. anxiety) and strategies for managing those ‘movies’ in our minds. Students also learn the importance of expressing how you feel and being a good listener.
- How to remember URSTRONG! – brings all the topics together by reviewing and reinforcing important concepts, recognizing the strengths in one another, and a chance for each child to showcase their “sole”.
Through the guidance of a digital presentation created specifically to appeal to tweens, your students will learn the foundation of understanding and maintaining healthy relationships.
Please note, Friendology 101 has been specifically designed for use within schools under the facilitation of a certified teaching professional. The License Agreement is a site license (for one school) and prohibits the use of the materials outside of the classroom for facilitation to the general public or shared within a school division. Charging for the sessions is prohibited.
Please note, Friendology 101 is a DIGITAL product. The curriculum will be sent via email download only.